Sultan Azlan Shah Gallery was officially opened by DYMM Paduka Seri Sultan Perak on 9 December 2003. Previously, the palace, called “Istana Hulu” or “Istana Kota” located at Bukit Chandan, was the first concrete palace built in Negeri Perak. It was owned by AlMarhum Sultan Idris Murshidul Azam Shah, the 28th Sultan Perak 28 (1887-1916). It was first built in 1889 and completed in 1903. In 1916, this palace was occupied by his son, AlMarhum Sultan Abdul Jalil.
In 1957, this building was turned into a school, known as Sekolah Kebangsaan Istana Kota. In 1970, Sekolah Kebangsaan Istana Kota name was changed to Sekolah Raja Perempuan Muzwin, that was the name of DYMM Raja Perempuan Perak, Raja Muzwin Binti Raja Ariff. In 1996, Sekolah Raja Perempuan Muzwin moved to a new building. The building was then proposed to be turned into Sultan Azlan Shah Gallery.
Bukit Chandan 33000 Kuala Kangsar, Perak, Malaysia